Sunday, July 11, 2010

Farview Philosphy

Because it is our point of reference, I think most people tend to humanize animals, to interpret their expressions and actions in terms of our own experience.  I lose patience, however, with those who coo, "But they're my babies!"  While I call the animals and fowl in my care the "kids," to consider them other than what they are would deny them respect for their very animalness.  We have a symbiotic relationship.  It is our very differences that I appreciate and from which I learn.  I hope they gain more than just food and security from the experience, but there is no confusion between kids and Kids.

While I'm waxing philosophic, I recently told a great-niece that there may be times in life that the only thing we can change is our attitude.  Last night I was making aioli (homemade garlic mayonnaise) and grumbling to myself about having to peel twelve cloves of garlic...seemed like a lot of work and why didn't garlic come in one big package like an onion.  The thought then occurred that rarely did one need twelve cloves of garlic at once, and wasn't it clever that garlic came premeasured and wrapped.  The job became a lot easier with that simple thought, that change of attitude.  On a hot summer evening, a plate of chilled barely steamed vegetables dipped in aioli was heavenly.

2 comments:

Cally Kid said...

Recipe for instant aioli> Safeway store, Aisle 5, about halfway down, third shelf on the right hand side. $4.75, Gilroy Garlic Company 6oz jar of crushed garlic (about 12 cloves worth).

Kathryn said...

I'm so glad to be back online and able to catch up on Bess, burrs, bats, buglars, goats, snakes, herbs, alfalfa, Pearl, Frank...and life at Farview!

And Mark...Mark...Mark...have you learned nothing? If she wanted stuff done the "instant" way, she would have stayed in West Sac with the bars, purple motels, the Safeway...and hookers!!