Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fingers Crossed

There are a couple of things to hope for today:  the little generator down in the barn hasn't been used for a couple of years and I really need it to start.  A shearer has promised to come tonight.  I need him to keep his promise, and he needs the generator for his shears.  Poppy is in desperate need of a haircut.  It's a bit of a Catch-22.  Normally, shearing is done around May so the sheep are comfortable when summer comes, and also so they can regrow a wool coat before winter.  Poor old Pop is caught right in the middle.  If the generator starts and if the shearer shows up...I wonder if there is Rogaine for sheep so she can stay warm when the snow flies.

It's unreal to think that the seasons are starting to swing again, but the days are getting shorter already.  I've been putting the kids to bed at sundown, leaving the house at eight-thirty with plenty of daylight.  Last night I was even a little early, about eight-twenty, and it was already too dark for the goats...they couldn't see back into the corners of their rooms and balked at going in.  I'm waking up later because it's not light yet at my "regular" time.  No wonder I get a little nutty when the clock changes...I have enough trouble keeping up with the sun.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I don't have anything snappy to say, but I will indeed keep my fingers crossed that Poppy becomes 5 sizes smaller today...and that you have a FEW well-placed raisins in your oatmeal...just not more than you need, want, or can handle!