Saturday, July 17, 2010

It's Hot!

It was 108 degrees yesterday as I came back through Diamond Springs.  I would not have ventured forth for, as I told Judy, "only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun," but a friend from southern California is in the area and may drop by and I was out of supplies.  I'll feed anybody anytime, but how they deal with the dust is up to them, because in this heat not much gets done after I finish with the goats in the morning.  I have two pair of bibbies...one in the hamper and one on me.  I was wearing the clean pair when I carried Stumpy out to her playpen and, unfortunately, she splooshed down my side.  That meant both pair went into the washing machine so I could go in to town.  It didn't make much sense to me to put on clean clothes just so I could sweat on them while I was waiting for fresh bibbies, so Bessie Anne and I sat around in the coverings we came with.  I kept my fingers crossed that the coyote would not show up, because the visual of me buck-nekkid on the deck with a rifle was too much even for me!

Coming back up the driveway in the early evening, there was a choo-choo train of baby quail following the mama engine.  These babies are unbelievably tiny, and they panic and dither, fluttering like leaves every which way until they see where mama went and then disappear into the brush. 

Deb and Craig invited me down for the day.  They have air conditioning.  The truck has air conditioning.  It's such a tempting offer, but Pearl is still locked in the bathroom and it wouldn't be right to leave.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Take Pearl WITH you and promise her that she is not going to the vet!!! And WHAT a visual - Annie Oakley in her birthday suit! Another morning chuckle - THANKS as always!!

Anonymous said...

Finally logged in to join in the fun and "what fun"!!!! I always enjoy talking with you in person, but had no idea how wonderfully you write. I can't stop reading. I'm back a week already and going back even further for more.

Thanks for being you..hope to see you soon. Love to you and all your critters.

Love...Shari