Friday, July 16, 2010

Babies On Parade

There has been an explosion in the local wildlife baby population.  A tiny spotted fawn was in the backyard yesterday.  A turkey mom daily shepherds her flock of twelve little turklets around through the front...all of them peeping to beat the band.  Baby ground squirrels, about four inches long, cavort everywhere, and I do mean everywhere.  One little guy comes into the goat barn daily to see what's new and if I've put out his cereal yet.  A bluejay family also came to the milking room.  The kid was every bit as big as the parents, but sat there yelling...sounding a lot like the plant in "The Little Shop of Horrors," demanding, "FEED ME!"  This big lunk was big enough to go out and get a job, but the parents were still frantic to placate him, searching for fallen grain for him until I set out their buffet.  It's not difficult to figure out what the animals were doing during the long, wet winter.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

So funny that I read the whole thing to my dad! It was the big lunk who was big enough to go out and get a job that got me! You DO have a great way with the works. Thanks for the morning visuals and chuckles!