Friday, November 1, 2013

Change Of Heart

What is it, I wonder, that causes some animals to undergo a complete change of heart, if not their entire personality, over time.  I've seen it happen before.  Eons ago we had a cat named Toolu who was a don't-touch-me cat.  People who had come to our house for years didn't believe we even had a cat because she would disappear the minute anyone walked in the door.  Then one day she came out of a back room and stuck to the Kids like lint on blue serge from then on.  If they lay on the floor, she curled up on back or hip.  I have a picture of one Kid sitting in a chair with Toolu perched on his head.  Pearl has done a similar about-face to the point that I look at her and ask, "Who are you?"  She asks, no, demands, to be petted, weaving back and forth until she's satisfied.  She plays with leaves and bits of string.  Not quite ready to settle in my lap, she will lie on the foot rest of the recliner to watch TV with me.  She has taken Frank's job with Bessie Anne and is now her constant companion.  Bess seems happy enough with this substitution.  If Pearl is outside when we step out to attend to chores, she comes running to be with us.  We are, indeed, all for one and one for all.

Sheila has also undergone a personality change and has become very lovey-dovey.  Always the first one up on the stand (recalling the ring-around-the-rosy games), she's reluctant to leave the room until I give her some extra loving and sweet talk.  She then hangs around outside the milking room door, getting in my way as I go in and out to clean the other stalls.  Last goat done, I go over to open the gate to the big pen.  Sheila follows and stands waiting for a head and neck rub, blocking the way for the others.  Leaving the pen, she'll come along up the hill for a goodbye pet at the gate, putting her muzzle up for a nuzzle.  Go figure.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Go figure, indeed...but what nice "change of heart" examples. They could have gone the other way, but I like the direction that Pearl and Sheila have taken. But strange, none-the-less!