Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Turn Backward

"Backward, turn backward, O time in thy flight...."  That's the beginning line of an old poem that comes to mind today.  They say it gets easier when your Kids grow up and are out on their own.  That is not always the case.  When they are little, sometimes an "owie" can be healed with a kiss to make it well, and a bandaid is a badge of courage.  Scary things can be driven away by pulling the Kid into the safe haven of your bed for the night.  Moms know how to do these things.  We had our share of stitches and casts, a bad accident or two, and a couple of serious illnesses.  Small potatoes.  A bit older, and hearts get broken.  Those are harder to fix.  A teen is sure they'll never get over a lost love, but moms can reassure and comfort and bake cookies and time will, in fact, make it all better.

My Kid has a broken heart that only the doctors can fix.  He will have surgery tomorrow.  It's all out of my hands; a terrible, helpless feeling.  I wish I could turn back the hands of time and have my little boy on my lap and make it all better for him with a kiss, a hug, and a cookie.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Prayers and good thoughts for the heart that needs to be fixed by the doctors, and the mom's heart that can only be fixed with good news.

Unknown said...

I can't express my hopes better Kathryn.