Friday, November 29, 2013

Pinball Wizard

Bouncing around like a pinball (without the bells and flashing lights), I actually got everything that needed doing done before the first guests, Dave, his lady Sandra, and Larry, arrived.  Whew!  When Clay got here soon after, we sampled Dave's homemade Apple Pie Moonshine.  Smoooth!  Deb and Craig texted when they were leaving Woodland, asking if I needed them to pick up any last-minute items and I got a chance to use the line I'd been saving.  "Yes, please stop and get a turkey, 22 pounds minimum and completely thawed.  I forgot."  I got the response I'd hoped for.  "WHAT!!"  It's the small things that make me chuckle.

Some families watch the parade, some watch football.  Mine plays poker.  Sandra is a newbie to our traditions and also to the game of poker.  Ha!  The guys were like lions circling a kill; fresh meat!  There is such a thing as beginner's luck and the gal did right well by herself.  Deb and Craig had come straight from a camping trip and got here shortly before Camille and her mother, Olga.   Chips and cards were cleared away as everyone helped with the last minute prep work.  There was a time when I brought out the good dishes and fancy silverware to set the Thanksgiving table.  Priorities being what they are, this year we even dispensed with a tablecloth.  Surrounded by family and friends, a table laden with food, we all had much for which to be thankful, especially Pete's successful surgery.  Dave said it well, "The food is always great [I'll take a small bow here], but it is the company that makes this day so special."

The meal over, the dishes cleared, the animals put to bed.  "Let the games begin!"  Camille was introduced to the competition and was also a fast learner as we got back to the important business of the day.  While the entire day certainly was a success, I'll admit I had to hit the piggy bank several times.  Sigh.  Care packages of leftovers provided, last goodbyes and "love you's" said.  Laughter.  It is the memory of laughter that echoes long after the last taillights blink.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

The day sounds like a glorious success, and such fun. Sorry you had to hit the piggy bank, but hopefully the reward/laughter from your awesome text outweighed your poker losses!