Friday, November 22, 2013

Pinata Party

It can get pretty blustery here on top of the hill.  When newscasters predicted 45 mph sustained winds yesterday, I started putting deck furniture and the trash barrel under cover in the morning.  (I've chased stuff down to the woods before.)  Our winds normally come from the south or the north, rarely from the east.  The east wind yesterday was a bonanza for the goats as it blew swirls of dry leaves into their pen.  There is no treat the girls enjoy more, and they were like little kids at a pinata party, scurrying here and there to grab up the goodies.  While they were occupied, I took the opportunity to nail up covers on the barn window openings; we're done with summer heat.

A couple of mice make me laugh every morning.  The older one goes to the grain buffet and brings a Willie Wonka-size chip of corn back to his corner, sits and munches as we look at each other.  Bam!  The smaller, younger one comes out of nowhere and does a drive-by, snatches the corn and disappears down a hole.  I'll swear the expression on the one says, "Kids today!  What're ya gonna do?"  This happens every day; it's either a game or the older one is a slow learner.

I was given a great gift.  Before going out to do chores, I called down to the hospital, hoping for a status report.  Imagine my surprise when the nurse handed the phone off and I heard Pete's voice.  He could barely talk because he was so tired and I could hardly talk for the tears, but, oh, the relief just to know, really know he was okay was overwhelming.  Full recovery is going to take a while, but he's on the right path.

Light as a feather with that burden lifted, I went shopping for Thanksgiving, prepared to battle with the hordes.  There weren't more than fifteen people in the store; more clerks than shoppers!  The checker said it was the first lull they'd had all day.  My list was long, but I was in and out in forty minutes.  That's my kind of shopping trip.

The winds blew down something somewhere and the power went out last night, but for less than an hour; reason enough to celebrate.  It's calm this morning so the party for the girls is over, but yesterday was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I'm SO glad that yesterday was a good day and that the wind blew goodies to the girls and blew the weight off your shoulders (and the crowds out of the market!) Onward and upward!