Saturday, November 16, 2013

Some Days

Some days get shot in the foot before the first step is taken.  Inga had done "her thing" the day before, so I knew we were facing a long, somewhat painful (for both of us) milking  process yesterday.  I got the first call while still in the barn.  Tree Guy is scheduled for hernia surgery next week and faces a lengthy recovery.

The second call (still in the barn) was from my SoCal Kid, phoning from a hospital bed.  Pneumonia for sure, and undergoing a series of tests for other problems.  It's very difficult when one's children, no matter how old they are, live so far away.  We agreed that the hospital is the worst place in the world to get any rest ("Wake up, sir.  It's time for your sleeping pill."), so I would not call him on the off chance that he was catching a nap.  Texting is the perfect answer here, and I didn't promise I wouldn't do that; a text message wouldn't wake him and I could still stay in touch.  His stay has been prolonged from overnight to several days.  The word was spread amongst the siblings.

With the best of intentions, I ruined Bessie's day.  She declined to go with me to the feed store, but I picked up a milk bone for her anyway.  This was one of the big bones, so I only took a broken half.  I thought she'd be pleased.  She was not.  Even a half was too big.  Bess started looking for a place to hide it.  She thought about the dirty-clothes basket, then the clean-clothes laundry basket, then the socks basket.  She went into the guest room to see if the closet door was open.  She considered stuffing the bone into the couch between the cushions.  Getting frantic, she cried little whimpers as she made the circuit again and again.  She asked to be helped up onto the bed, thinking to tuck it under her pillow, but decided I wasn't trustworthy and rejected that idea.  She made the rounds of potential hiding spots again.  I have no idea where I'll find that treat that wasn't a treat, but will undoubtedly come across it someday.  I won't make that mistake again.

All I can say about yesterday is, it could have been worse.  I'm grateful it wasn't.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh NO! Thoughts and prayers will be coming your way for all who need them, and I guess for your mulberry trees that remain unplanted. Here's hoping SoCal Kid makes a speedy recovery!!