Saturday, November 2, 2013

What Shall I Do?

There are perhaps only fifty or so walnuts at the bottom of the bag now after hammering away all afternoon and most of the evening.  I really wanted to finish the job but my butt gave out from sitting on the floor, even with breaks to put the kids to bed and heat a frozen pizza and, of course, letting Pearl in and out.  Then I got to thinking:  what shall I do when the bag is empty and I need an excuse not to do something else?  I've come to rely on that bag of walnuts.  I look around and see that this should be done or I should take care of that, then go get the piece of steel plate, a hammer, a bowl, and a bag for the shells and settle down to do something that is really nothing, but it relieves me of some of the guilt.  Creaking and groaning as I finally got to my feet in my oh-so-graceful way (it ain't pretty) last night, I  thought, "Well, you can finish up tomorrow."  Having had a night to sleep on the problem, I've decided those few walnuts left are my last bastion against doing something I didn't want to do in the first place.  I realize now I'd been looking at the walnut bag in the wrong way, as another task that needed doing.  That bag is my friend, my saving grace, and what shall I do for a good excuse when some other job calls for my attention and that bag is empty?  Sigh.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I have two lists: the things that need to be done; and the things that I can do INSTEAD of the things that need to be done. Pass the walnuts, please!