Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dibs and Dabs

It was a smorgasbord of chores, a little of this, a little of that.  Pulled a lot more weeds by the "rock garden," the granite boulders in the front yard.  (Funny thing, no matter how much I tend and water them, those rocks never grow.)  Finally got around to planting the petunias and marigolds in pots on porch and deck.  Dashed down to the feed store for a bag of sweet cob.  They've been out of lactating goat chow and I'd bought a substitute brand of feed last time.  It's been a disaster.  The pellets crumble to dust if I look at them hard and the girls don't like the powder so I end up throwing out half of everything in their bowl.  The worst part is finding dead mice in the grain bucket every morning for three days.  If the feed kills mice, what does it do for the goats?  Took a shovel (I'm exaggerating) and cleaned out the laundry room.  Those chicks may not be as ready as I am for them to move outside.  I'm thinking maybe another week.

A couple of WWOOFers are coming today to learn to milk and make cheese.  I've got the routine and patter down pretty good now, and I'm looking forward to meeting new friends.  Maybe they'd like a quick lesson in running the weed-eater, too.  Hmmm.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Yikes on the dead mice. I wonder if the substitute chow was made in China (I'm not kidding). Hope you had a good time with your guests!