Friday, April 25, 2014

My Lap Runneth Over

"Throwback Thursday" seems to be a big thing on Facebook these days with people sharing photos from their past.  Yesterday was Thursday and, without photos, I had one of those throwback moments.  I've mentioned before that my four Kids were born close together, over and done in five years.  It then stands to reason that we would sit in a cluster on the sofa or chair; my lap was always full and Kids were spilling over.  Our friends referred to my litter as The Group because the Kids were inseparable.  Of course there were times I wanted to tear out my hair, and I threatened to change my name to Gertrude as all I ever heard was "Mama, Mama, Mamamamama," but I had wonderful, precious, fun times with my Kids.  Come to think of it, I still do.  Last evening as I sat in the chair, Bessie Anne was lying squeezed onto the footrest of the recliner with her head on my ankles, Celeste was on my lap, and Ralph lay on my chest (the lap being full up).  With all those warm, weighty bodies pressed against me and my hand stroking fur, I was transported back in time.  If I closed my eyes, I could feel a child's soft, silky hair beneath my fingers and, if I listened closely, I could hear, "Mama, Mama," in Ralph's contented purr.  There are worse ways to spend an evening.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

You have warmed my heart once again!! Glad that your new "Group" is blending so well.

Unknown said...

Reading this on the ferry to Bremerton. It's a bright sunny morning and the windows,if not sparkling are clean from their recent wipe down yesterday. There are not many better ways to spend a Friday morning. My lap(top)runneth over too!