Monday, April 28, 2014

Remedies

I have done a lot of traveling in my lifetime:  to almost all of the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii, to Mexico and Canada, and to eleven countries in Europe.  I used to travel daily throughout northern California in my job as a Medical Records consultant.  I've not been off the farm for more than an afternoon in more than nine years, and yesterday I felt trapped.  The very animals that I so love felt like an anchor.  It was the thought that I couldn't leave even if I wanted that weighed heavily.  I went to sit out on the deck and let the peace and beauty work their magic; it's a remedy that never fails.  Wanderlust washed away.  Where could I go that would be better than where I am?  What could I do that would be funnier, more dramatic, and constantly engaging than what I do every day?  As if the cosmos was listening, a neighbor I've not seen nor talked to since the Great Tamale Cook Day called and said she'd like to visit.  Debbie K. came down and we spent the afternoon talking, talking, talking and we shared leftovers for dinner.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I love it when the cosmos listens...and then delivers.