Saturday, August 2, 2014

Au Revoir, Downton

Extreme heat robs me of ambition and energy.  I've been able to escape by going to Downton Abbey.  I was raised at a time when Emily Post and Miss Manners ruled, before Dear Abby and the tell-all gossip columns.  As children, we were taught the protocols of behavior that would be expected throughout our lives, protocols that may seem stultifying now but put secure boundaries in place then.  Boiled down to essentials, it seems to me that courtesy was the underlying foundation.  In the process of progress, some of that has been lost, I fear.  At any rate, I've appreciated that aspect of life at Downton.  The women upstairs have worn some of the most beautiful clothing I've ever seen, dresses that made me gasp (just as their corsets took their breath away).  Men in evening dress, ohmigosh, so elegant even a homely man looks handsome.  I'm just glad I don't have to starch and iron those shirtfronts.  Romance, intrigue, comedy, murder, wonderful characterizations (I even enjoy hating smarmy Thomas), my time at Downton has been so pleasant.  Years ago when I read Shogun by James Clavell, I so loved the story that I put the book down before the last chapter because I didn't want it to end.  Of course, I did read it all later.  I feel the same way about Downton Abbey and so it was with great reluctance that I watched the last episode available to me yesterday.  I'm so glad to know there is another season waiting in the wings.  Where shall I go now?

Quail are such shy little birds.  It took years for colonies to move on to the property, so it was a great surprise when I saw a covey cruising through the herb garden yesterday.  I've never had them come so close to the house before.  Cam and I were mentioning the other day that we've not seen many baby turkeys this year.  There was one train of youngsters that ran through here some long while back, but that was it until this morning.  Just before dawn about ten poults, maybe a month or two old, came up the hill with their nannies.  Nice to see.

Temperature dropping into the 90s is predicted for this week.  That may not seem like much but, after the last few days, it will be so welcome.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I'm glad that you have somewhere to go to escape the heat, even if it is to a fictional cooler spot in England.