Saturday, August 23, 2014

Telling On Me

Camille described to me a conversation she'd had with a county official regarding some of the discrepancies in the reverse 911 calls (automated telephone warnings issued in an emergency) during the recent Sand Fire.  She told of the one call she'd received about voluntary evacuation and that to Debbie K. telling of the all-clear (but no prior call telling her to get out), and an elderly woman up the road who hadn't gotten any notification at all.  I listened and started trying to figure out who else besides me on Gray Rock hadn't gotten a call.  Then it dawned - I was the elderly woman!  My years qualify me for the appellation, but I simply never think of myself like that.  However, it may explain the next event.


There are three remote controls to the left of my chair:  the television itself, the satellite dish, and the DVD/VHS player.  The wireless phone is to my right.  Yesterday I wanted to make a call to an unfamiliar number.  Phone book in hand, I punched in the numbers, put the phone to my ear, and wondered if it had gone dead.  No dial tone, no nothing.  Thinking I might have not pushed "talk," I looked at the phone and cracked up laughing.  In my hand was one of the remotes.  As Deb said, it might be a "universal" remote, but it won't do everything.

It's worth getting up early to see Venus and Saturn at their brightest and very close to the new moon in the east while it's still dark.  It's also worth it to see a doe and a growing fawn browsing on the oak over the woodpile in the pale morning light.

I don't mind telling tales on me.  If you can't laugh at yourself....

No comments: