Friday, August 29, 2014

Carpe Diem

Searching frantically through my mental files to find a subject for today, I glanced out the window to the east.  Believe it or not, what I saw was even more spectacular than this photo.  By the time I stepped outside with the camera, the brilliant reds had mellowed and in the minute it's taken to write two sentences, the colors have faded completely.  It's a metaphor for so much of what happens in life.  Missed opportunities.  Catching the moment.  Seizing the day, as it were.  So many times we look but do not see that which is right in front of us.  It is so easy to get tunnel vision as we focus on the task at hand.  I've talked before about my theory of Yesterday and Tomorrow people; those who only look backward for happy times and those who think they'll only be happy "when."  I've tried all my life to be a Today person, to appreciate that which is happening now.  That philosophy works for me, in that it makes for great memories and heightened anticipation.

Just think, had I not turned my head at the very right moment, I would have missed a gorgeous sunrise and wouldn't have had much to write about today.  Not much out of the ordinary happened yesterday.  I did watch two interesting documentaries about warthogs and honey badgers, but that was hardly blog fodder.  Time to get out there now and carpe some diem!

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Yes, an absolutely incredible sunrise..and am happy to be up, well, and appreciating it like you do. Thank you for writing about it...makes me remember it longer..and to know everyday brings us another one.

Kathryn said...

The photo is gorgeous, but I know what you mean about the colors fading so rapidly. I think...or at least I hope...that as we get older, we know to take the time to stop and smell the roses, today. and then, like you so humorously put it, carpe some diem!!