Monday, August 18, 2014

The Dark Side

The morning went well and I was on schedule.  Some personal stuff cropped up and the day did a flip to the dark side.  Scrambling to stick to the plan, I felt like a puppy trying to get traction on a tile floor, moving like mad and getting nowhere.  I wish I'd had time to take a photo of the tarts; they were absolutely gorgeous, if only an hour late coming out of the oven.  Coursing back and forth through the house like a bird dog on the hunt, I'll bet I passed the very thing I was looking for fifteen times.  Stop.  Take a deep breath.  Look again.  "Aha!  There you are, you booger!"  (Smack self on forehead.)  Eventually, I did make it over to Tim and Kathryn's place.  They had invited a larger number of participants and it was fun to meet new people.  I was sold out of product as soon as I opened the cooler.  Cam and I took separate trucks yesterday.  She sells eggs.  She'd called earlier and asked if I had one spare egg as she was short for the last dozen she'd packed up.  During my frenzy, I washed the one egg requested and to keep it safe, put it in a small, clean, empty sour cream container in the refrigerator next to my cheese so I wouldn't forget it.  At the big barn where the sale is held, Camille asked if I'd remembered the egg.  Proudly, I got the container, held it out, and let her look at (wait for it) the last of the sour cream.  Somebody got a helluva deal on eleven eggs.  Some people are one brick shy of a full load; I was one egg shy for a dozen.  And I should probably stock up on bricks.

Back to the dark side:  during the recent fire, Tim and Kathryn had to evacuate, not only themselves, but over 100 goats!  Driving over yesterday, my jaw dropped when I saw the devastation the fire wrought to acres and acres of land.  Trees hundreds of years old blackened and burnt on hill after hill.  It was simply unbelievable that the flames had stopped precisely at the other side of a narrow paved county road fronting Tim's property.  Bell Ranch was completely unscathed, not a leaf nor blade of grass had been scorched.

It was nice to end the day on the bright side.

No comments: