Sunday, August 31, 2014

Not Just Good

Some days are just better than others.  Some of those days come as a surprise, and some you're sure of from the git-go.  Yesterday was one of the best.  House jobs were finished early.  Barn chores went smoothly with the girls coming in on schedule (for a change) and I was done on time.  I was just getting the pecan pie ready to go into the oven when Deb and Craig arrived.  They had picked up KFC; that's a real treat for me.  Bessie Anne makes such a fool of herself when Craig comes up.  She's a gracious hostess to all, but she does have her favorites and Craig is highest on her list.  She can play him like a fiddle, flirting like a floozy and conning him out of special treats.  Ralph put in an appearance to grab a snack and check out the new people before going back to sleep in the shower stall.  Who knows why cats do anything?  Celeste gathered her courage and almost made it to the kitchen before turning chicken and running back to her hidey-hole.  I don't think Deb's ever seen her.

Deb and Craig drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, with me yelling, "No, General Custer.  I don't want to go!"  They got me my first cell phone, of the flip variety, a long time ago.  I'd insisted I didn't need one, but it soon became part of my wardrobe.  Then they traded that in for a newer style, but still a basic phone (with a camera!).  They spent a good portion of yesterday showing me all the neat stuff they can do with their, what?, I-phones, Smart phones, Otter boxes, whatever they are.  Having dipped my toes into the cell phone waters, I think I'm ready to take the plunge and go for an upgrade.  I'm actually excited at the thought of learning all that new technology.  There's a nifty app (see, I'm learning the lingo) that shows the constellations.  The night sky is so clear up here and filled with stars.  I recognize the Big and Little Dippers, and that's the extent of my astrological knowledge.  It would be grand to identify others when Bess and I go for walkies after dark.  I'm learning to like this Brave New World.

It's always too soon for a visit with the Kids to end.  I prefer the hugs of greeting to the ones of goodbye, sweet though they be.  Shortly after Bessie and I walked back to the house, I glanced out and did a double-take.  Three of the pullets were outside the pen.  Those little boogers are faster than an Arizona road runner, so no way was I going to chase them down, and Bess is quick, but she'd run them to death, more hindrance than help.  Keeping a sharp eye out for predators, I waited until just before dusk.  Leaving the dog in the house, I put the rest of the chickens into the coop so I could leave the gate open.  The pullets dithered around while I got behind them and walked slowly as they ran the fence line until they found the opening.  One at a time, they ducked into the pen.  I followed, shut the gate, opened the coop door, and in they went.  Whew, easy peasy!  I see I need to clip wings again.

It wasn't just a good day, it was great.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh goodie. We can FaceTime soon!

Kathryn said...

Sounds like it was even more than great...sounds FANTASTIC to me!