Sunday, August 17, 2014

Taking the Heat

As the saying goes, "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen."  It was a pretty hot day anyhow, so how much worse would it be to run the oven?  I got it in my head to make cinnamon buns to take to the Farmers' Market, in addition to the feta and chevre cheese.  Ended up spending most of the day in the kitchen, actually one of my favorite rooms in the house.

While the cheese was draining and the dough was rising, Bessie and I went out to water plants on the deck.  A live band at a nearby winery was covering Carole King and then morphed into Santana, making for a lovely way to spend time outside.  Seven young tom turkeys hang out here almost all day, every day.  As I moved along the deck above, they meandered through the back yard and into the orchard, making small talk among themselves.  Neither Bess nor I hold any intimidation for these boys.  Bessie has adopted my practice of moving slowly in their presence and she can walk within feet of the turkeys and not spook them in the least.

The aroma of baking bread tinged with the scent of cinnamon is heavenly, worth all the effort, I promise.  The cheese turned out well, too.  My prime objective in making chevre was to make goat cheese and caramelized onion mini-tarts as my potluck offering.  That means a good part of today will also be spent in the kitchen.  I can take it.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh yummy! The Market buyers are lucky to have your offerings. Hope it's a bang up day!