Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Not A Total Loss

Any day with my boys is a day well spent.  Just because not everything went as planned didn't mean it was a wasted day.  One of Dave's buddies bailed at the last minute so I couldn't pull one off door duty to plant the mulberry.  I had to move the tree up onto the porch because deer were eating the leaves at night.  It's still on the porch.  Dave and Bird went out to swap the disintegrating door on the feed room for a new one.  Dave came back, "Well, it's not good news."  After taking the old door off, it turns out the new door is about four inches too small.  Since I measured and know what I requested when I bought all three storm doors, it's my fault for not checking the boxes before accepting them.  The guys were able to jerry-rig and reinstall the old door.  Maybe it will last another year.  Or not.  Steve would be so pleased to know I've got a brand-new spare door in case I ever need one.  He was a man who thought if one was good, six would be better.  There are probably seventy-five screwdrivers in a drawer downstairs.

While the storm door fiasco was going on, Clay went to work painting the wood posts under the deck.  He'd planned on staying the night and finishing the job today.  He found out before he left home that he'd been called in to work so had to go back before dark.  So much for that plan.  He had more bad news.  One of the support beams is rotting out and needs replacing.  I'll have to give the logistics of that a little more thought.

I spent most of the day in the kitchen making potato salad and Rodeo sandwiches for lunch.  With the work projects halted, the guys sat at the counter, ate and told stories.  Dave and Bird wanted to beat traffic and so roared off on their Harleys, and Clay went back down to do a little more painting.  I cleaned up from one meal and started on the next.  The Orange Chicken had been such a success when I made it the first time I wanted to make it again, with fried rice with veggies on the side.  Clay and I were able to squeeze in dinner before dark when he had to leave and I had to put the kids to bed.

The tree isn't planted, the storm door isn't changed, the trim isn't all painted, the trash isn't loaded in the truck.  I got to spend the day with my boys, and they will be back.  It was not a total loss.  It was a good day.

No comments: