Thursday, August 21, 2014

Powerful

I dislike using power tools.  Ever since the time I accidentally sliced Steve's wrist with a reciprocal saw that bucked while I was cutting off an exhaust pipe (another story for another day), I have avoided power tools of any type.  I've been able to make do so far with simple hand tools; saws, hammers, and screwdrivers.  Sometimes you just have to face your fears and do what needs to be done.  A few days ago the bottom half of the Dutch door on the hen house dropped almost off, being held to the coop by one remaining screw on one hinge.  I knew what I had to do and I didn't want to do it.  There is a big cordless screw gun downstairs.  I've always been very good at handing it to whatever guy needs it and then stepping back.  I've not even been in charge of recharging the battery.  Dave had been using it when replacing storm doors so I thought the battery might be low.  Dave got a laugh when I had to call him to find out how to get the danged battery out of the gun.  Tired of manhandling the door open and closed and afraid the last screw would let go and the door would fall and squish a chicken, battery recharged and a supply of screws in my pocket, I went out to face Goliath.  A couple of false starts and a few dropped screws and, ta da!, mission accomplished.  Both hinges are firmly in place and the door is secure.  I'm going to put that on my resume.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

You DA WOMAN!! I bought myself a lady-sized drill just so that I could handle it, and it is not very intimidating - just sayin'