Monday, January 5, 2015

A Little Of This...

At 34 degrees yesterday morning, it was the first day in what seemed like forever (okay, three, four days at most) I didn't have to smash ice in the goat trough.  A few thunks broke the residual crust, although it did look like floating icebergs.  My mental calendar is so easily screwed up.  What with our Christmas last weekend (we all know how I messed up the dates on that one) and New Year's somewhere after that, I had myself convinced that yesterday was Monday (it was Sunday).  I had to adjust the planned day's tasks to suit.

Days run together here like tributaries to the river.  Not to say they all run downhill, it's just that they blend together.  That may be one reason why I don't "get'er done" all in one day.  There must be something left to do tomorrow.  (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)  Yesterday was a "little bit of this and a little bit of that" day.  On one of our forays outside, Bess watched from a spot in the sunshine while I deadheaded some of the herb garden in the front yard.  I think the goats listen for the sound of the front door.  Even though I might be unseen over the crest of the hill, they come from the far corners of the pen, line up by the fence and call whenever I come out.  Gardening was not what I'd intended, but we were out there and I needed to something.  While I may have nothing but time, I don't like to waste it.  The yards get so straggly in winter.  Still in plant mode, back in the house the inside plants needed water and attention.  Not able to face one more meal of it, I portioned and bagged up the remaining chili verde for the freezer.  Half an onion, a few frozen vegetables, cream close to the "use by" date, garlic growing green sprouts, the last of a container of Parmesan; a little of this and a little of that and dinner was a nummy fettuccini Alfredo.

Eggs are beginning to pile up in the fridge.  It may be that the little girls have cranked up production because it's warmer to sit in a corner and lay an egg, or they might just be bored with winter weather, but I'm bringing in more and more each night.  It's been awhile since I've made mayonnaise or, even better, aioli.  I'm a waste not-want not person, and there are just so many eggs one person can eat.

Nothing important on the calendar for today.  I'll probably just do a little of this and a little of that.  It's going to be a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

A this day and a that day is much better than a Jell-O day anytime. Enjoy!