Monday, January 26, 2015

"Draw, Podner!"

It doesn't do for me to sit down.  Apparently a lap is an invitation for any and/or all to join me.  In a rare happenstance, neither Bess nor Celeste had taken their places and Ralph wasn't about to let the opportunity pass yesterday.  He so seldom finds room in the crowded space that I chose not to dislodge him, even though there were still items on my agenda.  (That's my excuse.)  I frequently hear music in my mind, and yesterday it was the '50s doo-wop song by the Olympics, "My Baby Loves the Western Movies."  Evidently Ralph likes westerns, too.  Bessie and Celeste get in my lap and sleep.  Ralph and I watched the end of John Wayne in "The Shootist" and most of "My Darling Clementine" with Henry Fonda, Victor Mature, and Walter Brennan.  I'm a big fan of John Ford, but "Fort Apache" was full of every Ford cliche ever used; even the sound track was hack stuff stolen from his other films.  Ralph agreed.

Westerns and I go way back.  My dad and I watched black-and-white westerns together on tiny-screen TV.  Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Tim McCoy (he came to my grade school and gave a rope-twirling demonstration), the Lone Ranger (I liked Tonto best), and Hopalong Cassidy.  The other day I watched a very young John Wayne in "Stagecoach," a great movie.  It was nice to again have a companion who enjoys cowboys and Indians.

I didn't get a lot done yesterday, but it was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Funny you should mention John Wayne and Hopalong Cassidy, as just yesterday I looked up the list of movies filmed in Lone Pine, and those two names were there a LOT! I have not see Fort Apache, but I think it might be one in the trilogy that ends with Rio Grande. That one I've seen, as it has a lot of the same cast as The Quiet Man, and was made as part of a deal with the head of Republic Studios...he'd make The Quiet Man if they'd make a western for him first, to create the money for TQM, because he was sure he'd lose money on that one. LOL