Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Slow Learner

I should know better by now.  After all these years of making the same mistake over and over, I should have learned that I should not open a book before doing housework, or any work.  It is my downfall.  I swear every time that I will read only a few pages or a few chapters, and every time I pick up a book I fall into the abyss.  So as not to waste the entire day (if reading can ever be called a waste), I put the electronic servants to work washing dishes and clothes.  I was so bad yesterday that I even used the dryer instead of hanging laundry on the line.  I knew I'd been bad and so punished myself by putting the book down with forty pages left before The End.  I'm suffering, believe me.

There is another arena in which I am a slow learner.  My Smartphone gets a chuckle every time it proves itself smarter than I.  When a call comes in, a little red phone icon appears on the screen, so I touch it.  No!  I should swipe across to answer the call.  The red icon is the hang-up button.  I hung up on Linda again yesterday.  She, being swifter on the uptake, now knows that she must call at least twice if she wishes to speak to me.  She realizes it is not personal.

I put the photo of last night's sunset at the beginning today, as it was, with few exceptions, the only time I was outside all day.  Company (Clay!) is coming up this morning.  I most certainly have things to do, but I hear that book calling my name.  Only forty pages...hmmm.

2 comments:

Emmy said...

I don't blame you....finishing a book comes first on my to-do list...and all the time thinking of next one to read as well as who can I send first one to, that would enjoy it.
House work is definitely LOW on list.

Kathryn said...

I think electronic helpers can be marvelous - and to make use of them is extremely intelligent - just like the knowledge you glean from books. There, does that make you feel better? I know...the only thing that will make you feel better is to finish those last 40 pages! Boy, now THAT is patience :-) Brownie points for sure.