Thursday, January 1, 2015

Then and Now

Once upon a time, long, long ago, New Year's Eve was an occasion to dress up and stay up celebrating until the wee hours of the morning.  Years go by and one's perspectives and priorities change.  It happens that there is an English pub in downtown Fair Play ("downtown" consisting of the pub and a hardware store across the road).  December 31 is also my friend Camille's birthday and we decided to live it up in style to honor both occasions and meet at the pub a whole mile away.  Midnight in England occurred at four o'clock p.m. our time and that's when The Pub (accurate, if not original) began the British festivities.  Camille, her mother Olga, and I met up about 3:30, perfect timing for ladies "of a certain age."  The little bar quickly filled with locals ready to party hard and, at the stroke of four, poppers exploded, confetti rained down, and "Happy New Year!" was shouted by one and all.  Of course, "Happy birthday!" was included at our table.  One beer later and still wearing my own tiara, I left at 4:30 and got home in time to put the goats, sheep, and chickens to bed.  Woot woot!

The last sundown of 2014 was a blaze of glory on my way back from the barn.

For years, the tradition in my family was to start a round-robin series of phone calls at midnight to wish each other Happy New Year.  Now we text each other before 9 p.m., none of us still up at 12.  At 9:30, dozing in the chair, I was awakened by the phone.  It was a surprise call from a great-nephew in Massachusetts whom I've only seen once.  How pleasant to be remembered by the second generation down.

The first sunrise of 2015 and it is just as cold out as it looks.  Twenty-six degrees here this morning.  I hope it is at least a little warmer in down in Pasadena for those participating in the Rose Parade.

Yesterday, I was hauling extra feed to the goat pen and forgot to break the ice in the water trough.  I realized my error on the way back when I saw Inga licking, not drinking.  I'll have to do better today.

I may not celebrate in the same way now as I did then, but my wishes for everyone are the same.  Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

And a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and yours and all your furry and feathered friends!