Saturday, January 31, 2015

Good Company

I did not accomplish one single thing yesterday.  Not one twig picked up, not one hole drilled, not one surface dusted.  Tim and Kathryn drove up unexpectedly while I was working down in the barn.  He was looking for a particular gauge of shotgun shell and thought I might have some.  Once the milking routine has started I can't leave, and so had to send them up to the house to search on their own.  That treasure hunt didn't turn up any treasure, but I had only a vague idea of where the shells might be stashed after a recent purge.  We three had a nice visit and then they were on their way empty handed.

Shortly after their departure, Camille called.  She had an egg-bound hen and needed a lubricant and some calcium carbonate, which I had.  (It was a day for strange requests.)  Cam and Honey soon arrived.  Honey has her own routine when she comes up.  She says a polite greeting to me and then heads for the kitchen.  She slurps up any leftover milk in Bess's bowl, munches from Bess's food dish, and empties the water bowl.  If she's been invited for high tea, she's going to make the most of it.  I haven't seen much of Camille lately and so we stood out in the warm sun and talked while Honey cruised the yard.  Bessie lay quietly at our feet, happy to let the youngster go on her way alone.

Quite some time later, back in the house I felt a nap was in order.  Might as well, as Bessie Anne and Celeste had me nailed down in the chair.  I like naps and it was well past the noon hour.

Awakening after a good sleep, I was making a plan of attack on chores when Linda cleverly texted a message that she was going to call and ask that I not hang up (as I unintentionally but usually do).  We are in frequent contact, but briefly, with texts and short chats.  Yesterday was an opportunity for a long, leisurely, thoroughly enjoyable conversation that took me nearly up to dusk.  No sense starting on anything then when when quitting time was so close.

One way or another, the day was spent in the company of good friends.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

A day spent with friends is always a good day!!