Thursday, April 9, 2015

Carpe Diem

Did I mention the litterbug wind of the storm?  This is just a sample of the leafy twigs blown down in just one tiny section of the yard.  Yikes!

After the foofah of the previous oh-so-rainy day, the girls were eager to get their breakfast and get out to enjoy the sunshine and barn chores were a pleasure.  Everyone came to the stand in orderly fashion, ate every bite in their bowl, and no quarrels broke out.

I knew I was going to have to make a run into town, but could not resist sitting on the deck with Bess moving from sun to shade while I read, intermittently just watching clouds on parade.

On my return, there were things I should have done inside, but opted to take Bessie Anne out again for the pleasure of being outdoors.  It was that kind of day.  I gathered a big armload of oak leaves and tossed it to the girls.  Tessie took her little pile over to the side out of frame, fearful that she might not get to enjoy every bite.  Pretty wise, as the others would snatch leaves from another's mouth while they were chewing.

This turkey and I had a lot in common.  He was pecking through the front yard while I was treating the girls.  It's very difficult to get a photo of the turkeys' gorgeous blues and bronze, but I keep trying.  It was just too nice to go back into the house.  The temperature dropped in the shade, so Bess and I sat in the sunshine on a boulder in the rock garden.  Turkey seemed to enjoy our company and felt the same way about going in.  He settled himself down in the yard about twenty yards away, periodically trying to strike up a conversation.  I know people say, "Let's talk turkey," but I don't know the lingo.  We all sat in the weak warmth of the sunshine until even that was gone and the three of us went to our respective homes.  I got a fire going before time to tuck the girls in.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Gosh, do you suppose that there are some animals that like to be outdoors and/or in the sunshine as much as some of us do, and others, like humans, who would prefer to be indoors or in their burrows, dens, lairs, and such? And we've seen some animals romp and play...so I wonder if some like "sports" and others don't. Hmmmmm