Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Heavy Duty

Ralph takes his self-imposed responsibilities as house cat very seriously.  I wish our means and methods coincided.  I posted photos of his secretarial work with the tax forms.  His filing system made sense only to him.  (A little like the woman I replaced years ago and I found paperwork for the elevator filed under "L."  True story.)  In addition to redecorating the living- and dining rooms, Ralph has now taken on the duties of housekeeper.  I've always tried to keep the guest bedroom neat and tidy in readiness for an unexpected stay-over.  Ralph has redone the room to his own liking, remaking the bed to suit.  He is very proud of his handiwork in the guest room.  I have learned never to ask, "What else?" because I'm afraid of the answer.

There's nothing like having a dinner guest make their own dinner.  Half the work and twice the fun!  Arden had not made pizza before, but she's always up for something new.  Making pizza is carte blanche to play with your food, a real hands-on experience, beginning with pressing out the dough.  We worked, if it can be called work, side by side.  Arden was rather pleased to find she'd have her very own pizza all to herself.

Toppings were a choice of sausage, pepperoni, salami, olives, onions, a ready-made sauce, and several cheeses.  One can get quite artistic with the placement of ingredients.  A few minutes in the oven and then came the best part, eating our creations!

I'd always avoided making pizza in the past, thinking it would take forever and needed special equipment:  a pizza stone for the oven, hours to make the dough, etc., etc.  Then I found the easiest recipe ever for a quick yeast dough and that a 400-degree oven and oiled parchment paper on a baking sheet would do the job.  It's become a staple in my diet.

Ralph is busy in the bathroom.  I can hear him brrrp-brrrping as he rearranges the bathmat in front of the stall shower.  He prefers it bunched up and over to the side instead of flat.  A cat's work is never done.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Ralph is a hoot and those pizzas look marvelous!