Thursday, December 10, 2015

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

Nothing like leaving the house to make you so glad to be home again.  I did, in fact, make it down to Folsom yesterday.  It's been years since I've made that trek.  The area has grown and landmarks that stood me in good stead in the past have changed.  I got myself lost only once and, by fortuitous chance, made a couple of turns and found I was just a block or two from where I needed to be.  My luck held and I was in and out of the "big box" store with everything needed in an hour!  No cruising the aisles, although it was tempting as long as I was there.

Because I passionately dislike shopping of any kind, I ease the pain and amuse myself with a simple experiment.  I do not walk around with a goofy grin on my face, but smile and nod as I pass other shoppers intent on the hunt.  I find it rewarding that no matter how serious their expression might have been when they approach, inevitably they smile back.  I hope they "pay it forward."  I think the world needs more smiles.

Knowing I had cut it short, I barely made it home before it was full dark.  It's almost mid-December, and it was a little disappointing to see only two houses in that hour-long trip that were decorated with Christmas lights.  It used to be an annual event to drive out in the evening at this time of year just to see all the pretty sights.  Ah well.  I guess it's a sign of the times.

The girls were clustered at the corner of their pen, keeping watch for their errant "mother."  Quickly changing from my go-to-town shoes to the current pair of clodhoppers, I put on the wonderful lighted hardhat created by my son-of-another-mother, Craig, and went out to tuck the anxious goats to bed.  Because, thanks to my headgear, they were able to see to the back of the stalls and there was no problem getting them into the barn.  The chickens had given up hope and were all roosting and drowsy in the coop.  They can have their nighttime treat in the morning.

The predicted storm blew in during the night, "blew" being the definitive term here.  Rain is pouring down and the wind is howling.  I have an appointment today with Repair Guy to get the downstairs gas fireplace working.  It's like a deep freeze down there now, and it would be nice to have the Christmas gathering next to that fireplace.  However, since Repair Guy has to drive quite a distance, I guess I'll understand if he wants to reschedule.

Upstairs or down, it's nice to be home.

No comments: