Thursday, December 3, 2015

Truck Talk

"Ten-four, good buddy."  No, this isn't going to be about "Smokey and the Bandit" or about CB radio lingo.  (My CB "handle" was Lucky Strike, back in the day.)  This is about my truck.

After the episode on the road the other day, other than running the trash down to the big road, I have been leery of driving said truck.  I didn't want to tempt fate and have the possibility of lightning striking twice and blowing another tire.  Nothing for it but to bite the bullet and take the truck down to Diamond Springs.  I talked to Truck the whole way.  "Just hold on, we can do this."  "Almost there, don't give up on me now."  Fortunately, there was little traffic on Bucks Bar and I could ease around the many curves.  I'd chosen a time when I hoped the automotive department was over the rush, but had taken a book to while away the wait, just in case.  Totally surprised, there were no cars in line and they took the truck right in.  I asked for four tires and to have the battery checked.  No surprise, the battery was shot.  "May I please have a new battery, too?"  Believe it or not, I was in and out in 45 minutes.  I won't say those guys are ready to be a pit crew for NASCAR, but they did a doggone good job, including balancing the tires.  I've been holding on to a gift card from Deb and Craig for ten years and that certainly eased the pain at checkout, but, regardless....

I was simply was not prepared for Truck's reaction to new footwear.  He pranced like a pony, he danced on air, he was raring to go!  I had another stop to make on the other side of town and really had to watch the speedometer and ease off the accelerator because Truck wanted to race every car on the road.  As an aside, the stretch of Hwy. 50 behind Old Placerville is a joy at Christmas.  That section is lined with Christmas trees every few feet, each decorated by a different organization, and is simply lovely.  If I hadn't had to keep both hands on the reins, I'd have taken a photo.

I did notice while driving that when the battery was changed, that put the radio into Lock mode.  After taking care of business at the one store, I decided to unlock the system while still in the parking lot.  This had happened once before and I had the secret code to enter.  Pulling out the manual, I followed the directions.  Failed.  Tried and failed again and again.  I'm pretty good at reading and following instructions, but this was becoming ridiculous.  Phooey.  Given that I was still in town, I drove back across and pulled in to the dealership where Truck was bought.  "I need a little help here, please."  Joe, the manager, caught Billy, the radio Wiz, and we all went out to fix Truck's problem.  I wanted to watch and find out what I'd been doing wrong, and Joe wanted to know, himself.  Turns out, there was a critical mistake in the printed directions and I'd never have been able to fix it.  Five minutes later and I was on the road home, singing to the radio.

Truck was cornering on the curves like a Ferrari and taking hills like a gazelle.  New tires have totally changed his personality.  Who knew?  There's life in the old boy yet.

Shortly after returning home, it was time to put the kids to bed, and this was last evening's sunset.

It was a good day.


1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Who knew that "Truck" was a cross between the Budweiser Wagon and a NASCAR car. Yay!