Thursday, December 17, 2015

Throwback Thursday

High school graduation, 1957, sixteen years old.  Fifty-eight years later, it's like looking at a familiar stranger (how's that for a contradiction in terms?).  No, that's not true.  The mirror now is where the stranger lives.  Grey hair, wrinkles galore, gnarly fingers, aching joints.  Who is that old woman?!  The funny thing is, on any given day I have a better relationship with the "her" in the picture.  I understand Her better, certainly better than I did way back when, and definitely better than I understand me now.  I'm still waiting to find out what I'm going to be when I grow up.

I sometimes feel I've lived through several lifetimes on this earth.  Completely different lifestyles in each, in different locales.  Mother, housewife, college student in my thirties, professional working woman, welder and business owner, and finally farmer.  Whew!  I can imagine the look on Her face if I told her she'd be milking goats in her seventies.

I've heard it said that the one thing we can count on is change.  Might be for better, might be for worse, but nothing stays the same.  Throwback Thursdays are an opportunity to look back.  Mondays are for a new beginning.  I wonder what's next!

No comments: