Wednesday, December 16, 2015

My Enemy

I am my own worst enemy.  The more there is to do, the less I do.  I don't even try to make excuses anymore.  Ten days away from "our" Christmas and still I dawdle, knowing full well that today and tomorrow are lost causes.  There is a local community website where items are put up for sale.  I've been trying for a couple of weeks to connect with a woman who posted a round oak dining room table and chairs.  I don't know yet what I'll do with the table as three dining room tables are probably overkill, but I really need the chairs.  She finally called yesterday and I'm to pick up the set today.  Tomorrow I'm to meet Linda and Cam for lunch and then go see Linda's new house.  Two days shot down in flames.  The tree still sits in the box.  The dough (the project-from-hell dough) still sits in the refrigerator.  I fear I'm going to be on Santa's Naughty List.

A call from my friend Tom is always welcome, and a visit is even better.  He'd said he and his coworker, Goyo, would stop by yesterday about 3.  Okay, I had plenty of time.  The doorbell rang at 1.  Nooo!  Not surprisingly, I'd not gotten everything planned done.  Give a guy a beer and they'll forgive just about anything.  What's a little dust between friends?  I'd met Goyo once before, but couldn't recall his name.  I knew it started with a G, and Tom and Goyo got a kick out of my substitute, "Guapo."  (Guapo means Handsome.)  Dusting done or not, it was lovely to spend the afternoon playing catch-up with these two gentlemen.

The weather app on my phone is the eternal optimist, calling a couple of degrees warmer in winter and cooler in summer.  Awakening at 4:30 this morning, Phone told me it was 30 degrees.  I tend to trust the house thermometer more, and it called it at 24 degrees.  Inside, it is now all the way up to 44!  One thing I cannot procrastinate with today is bringing more firewood up to the porch, lest I turn Bess, Ralph and Celeste into pup- and catscicles.

Even in the enclosed hen house, their water had turned to ice yesterday.  Since the taps were frozen, they had to wait until the containers thawed to get a drink.  Once again I had to break through for the goats to get to their water.  There are fewer hummingbirds wintering over this year, but I continue to fill their feeders.  Out of the three, one was completely frozen yesterday.  I always worry that the poor creatures will put their tongue into the tube and get stuck to the ice like that kid in "A Christmas Story."

I did get as far, and only that far, as making a To-Do list yesterday.  If I quit fighting myself, I might actually get to cross off an item or two today.  Or not.

No comments: