Friday, December 11, 2015

Luck And Beyond

There were a few breaks in the storm yesterday.  During one of the "dry" spells, Repair Guy for the fireplace showed up (good timing).  I explained the problem (the fireplace wouldn't light) and showed him downstairs.  He hadn't even crossed the room before he said, "You've got a gas leak."  Oh crum!  I can't imagine how long propane has been leaking into the room.  I certainly have never smelled that garlic/bad egg odor that identifies propane, but then I so rarely go downstairs anymore, and it seems to have been just a tiny leak.  It's a good thing that the fireplace wouldn't start or I could have blown up the house!  How's that for luck?  I've always left a window slightly open down there and that probably saved us.  Repair Guy turned off the gas to the fireplace so that danger is past, but he legally could not work on the pipes.  He said I needed a plumber and he'd be back after the leak was fixed to work on getting the fireplace going.

After RG left, I went on the hunt for a plumber.  How was I to know there are different kinds of plumbers?  Evidently "plumber," like "doctor," is a general term for the trade, but like medicine, this is the age of specialization and there are no GP plumbers.  Four phone calls later, I finally reached a gas-pipe plumber and (I could hardly believe my luck!) he made an appointment for today!  It had taken two weeks for RG's appointment.  Visions of sugarplums might dance in children's heads, but I see dollar signs flashing every time I turn around.  Oh well.

"Room temperature" is a relative term.  The day was pretty much shot for anything else, so I decided to do a little baking late in the day.  The new recipe I wanted to try required piping soft, buttery dough into strips.  "Leave the butter to soften at room temperature for at least two hours."  Check.  In my enthusiasm, I'd made a double batch.  I tried every which way, but I'd have needed Arnold Schwarzenegger's muscles to push the dough through the pastry bag.  I put the bowl into a hot water bath, but all that did was turn the hot water cold.  (The bowl was "room temperature.")  After several attempts, I gave up.  It seemed my luck had run out for the time being.  I will try again today; not that the room will be any warmer, but I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve that might work.

It rained most of yesterday and it is raining still this morning.  At least the wind has died down.  It blew like crazy yesterday and smaller branches came crashing down from the oaks.  So far, so good with the trees themselves.

All things considered, I'm a lucky woman and it was a good day.

No comments: