Saturday, December 19, 2015

Look What The Wind Blew In

"Look what the wind blew in," was one of my mother's sayings when an unexpected guest would come to the house.  In this case, the wind blew in last night and brought a dose of rain.  It's still falling but fortunately the wind has died down somewhat, having done its job right well.  There are few to no leaves left in the oaks and the wind now whistles through bare branches.  The ground is literally covered in dead leaves (job security for next spring) and will provide a thick blanket for the dormant plants underneath.

The girls and I will go into rainy-day mode in the barn today.  None of them wants to go outside and our regular pattern is completely disrupted.  When literally pushed out the door after breakfast, they reluctantly put their head down and rush to the nearest shelter.  The last ones are lucky because I will then leave the play yard gate open for them all.  In case there are disputes, the odd man out can take refuge in what used to be Louie's shed, lacking the warmth of the huddled masses but out of the wind and rain.

What the wind sucks out is heat from the house.  The well-stocked porch rack has a dwindling supply of firewood as I've tried to warm the room.  Last night Celeste was clinging like a limpet to her place on my lap.  She is a creature who likes her comfort.  Bessie Anne and Ralph snuggled together in the other chair while the wood stove did its best.  Once it gets going, it does a credible job, but sometimes it takes a long time to get going.  (A bit like me.)

We're on the countdown to Christmas.  Maybe if I can get the wind to blow at my back, I'll move a little faster.  Or not.

No comments: