Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Good Timing

Back when I began this journey with cancer, seems like eons ago or maybe yesterday, I tried to decide how much to share in this arena and settled for "not much."  Overall I have been tremendously impressed with the level of care and compassion offered by every medical office involved.  I've been floored by receiving personalized cards from the hospital staff after surgery and more recently from one of the PAs (physician assistant) at my primary care physician's office.  Back at the start, I had an excisional biopsy and there, too, was treated with such kindness.  Zoe, a nurse there, gave me a small ceramic "stone" on which was painted "Strength."  She explained that it would not give me strength, but would remind me that I was strong.  She said someone had given it to her, but she wanted me to have it to help with whatever might follow.  I've kept it nearby all this time.

After an appointment with the oncologist yesterday, unfortunately resulting in the need for a CT scan soon, I went next door and asked to speak to Zoe.  I put the little ceramic talisman in her hand and explained how much I had appreciated her kindness and good wishes, and I wanted her to pass it on to another in need.  Her eyes welled with tears and she said, "Me.  It's been a really bad day and you'll never know how much I needed this right now."  Timing is everything.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Emmy said...

I think it is good to share the bad with the good with your friends.
And we who read your notes every day, consider ourselves your friend.
And giving to Zoe brought tears to my eyes.