Friday, February 10, 2017

Don't Ask

There are those times in life when the one thing you simply do not ask is, "What else else can go wrong?"  When you're in deep doodah, the best thing to do is keep your mouth shut and keep paddling.

Cindy wasn't looking good in the morning.  She needed guidance out of the barn, didn't come in for breakfast, and lay down in the pen as if the sun were shining.  It was drizzling.  I got her up and under shelter before leaving the barn.

Tony, the insurance guy, was over an hour late getting here.  After asking for directions, he decided on his own to come down Mt. Aukum Rd., which is closed due to the huge sinkhole.  In other words, you can't get here from there.  I'll never understand why people will put their faith in GPS instead of the person who lives here.  Instead of asking a few questions and taking a couple of photos, Tony took the better part of an hour with a full-scale inspection of Truck.  Inside, outside, under the hood, checking the oil, etc., etc., etc.  The wind came up and the rain came down before he was finally done.  In spite of the assurances by the nice lady that all would be well, Tony was full of gloom and doom.  Truck would have to have two panels replaced (I knew that), and "those are pretty high-end items."  (Not my problem.)  The upshot was that it is probable that the company would buy Truck for a pittance, not even enough for a down payment on another, or to give me even less if I want to keep him and drive him as is.  He admitted that Truck is in excellent shape, otherwise.  In other words, Bill wiped out my truck and will go on his merry way in a 2012 truck with a small dent in a front fender and I will be left driving a beater hoopty through no fault of my own.

After Tony left, I spent the afternoon throwing a pity party for one (me).  The weather suited my mood, for sure.  At what I assumed was sunset, I went with trepidation to put the kids to bed.  I couldn't find Cindy at first, got the others tucked in, and went around the barn looking.  Still on her feet, Cindy was the most forlorn goat ever, standing out in the rain.  I managed to get her into her stall for the night, but it's not looking good.

Emotionally drained, I went to bed early but awoke a couple of hours later.  It's futile to try to go back to sleep when your mind is in a squirrel cage, circling faster and faster and going nowhere, so I got up and turned on the computer.  Facebook is a good way to numb the brain so I spent hours calming my thoughts and then the power went out.  Aarrgh.  Don't ask.

Power is back this morning.  (Insert smiley face here.)

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

O...M...G....NOOOOOTTTT FAIR. I'm so, so, so sorry and I hope you threw a whale of a party - actually for two - I think Cindy needs to be in on the pity party!!! This too shall pass?????