Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Bad To Worse

"Too Darn Hot" (Cole Porter song written for "Kiss Me, Kate") was the theme of the day.  I hadn't planned on doing much anyhow, but yesterday was the hottest yet and baked out any ambition I might have had.  My heart went out to my daughter who messaged me in the morning, saying that the air conditioner had quit in her office building and the windows could not be opened.  Aaargh!  About the time I thought it couldn't get any worse here (105 outside, 95 in), a high cloud cover put a lid on the sky, trapping the heat.  Then, oh no!, there were smatterings of rain to add humidity to the mix.  To get some relief, I soaked Bess and and then stood under the mist myself.  I was dry by the time I'd walked back into the house.  They're predicting another full week of these conditions.  That sends me right past sigh to sob.

Life goes on.  Cam has no ground squirrels down at her place, but she knows what a problem they are for me.  I'd been putting used cat litter down their holes, but she told me a friend of hers had good success with used coffee grounds.  It was worth a try so I put some into a couple of the burrows going under the porch and amazingly, it works.  I don't delude myself into thinking the little boogers have left.  They'll pop up somewhere else, but maybe it will keep the house from sinking like the Titanic someday.

I hated to do it, bringing the guys out in this heat, but I had to order another ten bales of alfalfa for the girls.  I make sure to take cold water to whomever is bucking the alfalfa to keep them hydrated.  It's hard work in any weather.

It doesn't cool off at night.  I don't even have a blanket on the bed, and a sheet is too much cover.  Thankfully, my bed mates feel the same way and don't snuggle up and we're all grateful for the ceiling fan that at least moves the air around.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

O man, O man, O man...I feel for you. Sounds wicked!