Saturday, August 26, 2017

Seeing Red

"Someone's been swimming in my pool and here he is."  I interrupted this little frog's bath in the water pot yesterday because it was half empty and needed filling.  Turned out he wasn't swimming alone, but the small rat at the bottom wasn't swimming anymore.  I don't like to find dead things, but can't say I'm sorry the rat population is down by one.

Rain or shine, hell or high water, it was salsa day.  All those beautiful tomatoes couldn't go to waste.  I started dicing.  And dicing.  And dicing.  The biggest ones, over a pound each, took forever and I was good for maybe four before I had to sit down.  It's a good thing I grew up with radio because I could listen to a TV program and not have to see it.  After several hours of seeing red, I took a nap.  A couple more hours of trimming, coring, and cutting and I was little more than halfway done.  I called Camille, "If I never see another tomato, it will be too soon!"

A short while later she was dusting cobwebs from under her patio cover and hit a wasp nest.  A quick getaway was in order so she brought a knife and came to help.  Finally the deed was done and the last tiny red cube went into the bowl(my two biggest mixing bowls were brimming).  The kitchen is the hottest room in the house and we were more than ready to go out on the deck and try to catch a breeze.

Stump is either a she or a single father, as there were little twins, Rhonda and Ronnie, lying in the shade by her side.  Stump went up under the oak to get a snack and Rhonda and Ronnie started playing tag and boxing and having a high old time.  Stump is a pretty strict parent because all that roughhousing came to a halt when she (I'm opting for female) came back.  Who needs TV.

Back to the kitchen again for more dicing.  Cucumbers, jalapenos, onion and garlic were added to one of the bowls for pico de gallo, and that was divided in two; one without cilantro for Cam and one with.  The other bowl of plain tomatoes was bagged up for future use and put in the freezer.

I'm definitely glad not to see red today.

No comments: