Monday, August 28, 2017

H.O.T.

Heat rolled in waves off the barn and the latches were hot enough to sear skin.  The gate to the playpen and the back stalls is chain link.  I don't understand why, when the goats rub against it as they do, they don't come away with diamond-shaped brands on their shoulders.  There wasn't a puff of air, and we didn't spend any more time in the room than necessary.  Thank goodness the truck had A/C for the drive to Pete's.

Caught up in the moment, I usually forget to get a photo, but remembered this time.  Pete and Jake are in front, and Craig, Deb, and Dave are standing.  A motley crew, but mine own.

Jake was a shy young boy, and he has matured into a confident young man.  Changes are very apparent to me as I see him so seldom.  Even so, it's hard to think of him going so very far away, and I'm sure it is the same for his father.  I believe Jake is more excited about the next stage of his adventure.  His uncle Dave and his dad had been in the Navy and there was some good-natured ribbing about "squids" and "fly-boys."

Pete served probably the best gumbo I've ever eaten, loaded with andouille sausage and packed with flavor.  My opinion was shared because there was little to no chatter as we scraped our bowls, silence being the best compliment any cook can receive.

All too soon it was time to head home.  The celebration isn't over for me, however, as Pete and Jake are coming up today.  Woohoo!  I'm sorry to have to invite them in to the oven (Pete's house has air conditioning).  I wonder if they're too old to play in the sprinkler.

As the blazing sun shows, the day ended as it had begun...hot.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I'm sorry that Larry is in paradise...but it looks like paradise was in Pete's house too yesterday, and I'm so glad that you have more time with Pete and Jake today. At least you are not responsible for whatever heat there is!! So happy for you.