Saturday, August 19, 2017

Going On

I dislike the phrase, "moving on" which, to me, means moving away from.  I think people recover by simply going on, putting one step in front of the other and getting through the day.

It seems I've been abandoned by the barn mice, and have seen neither hide nor hair of the squirrels.  I don't much care that the squirrels don't plague me, but I really miss the mice.  After finding those two in the feed barrel, not another one has shown up.  Aside from the goats, there's nothing to keep me company and nothing to watch while milking but the spiders in their web in the corner.  Sigh.

Robert the Raider on the deck has a protoge, a very small but equally destructive squirrel named Bobby.  Bobby is working on his creepy-sneaky stuff, hiding behind pots as he shops for something tasty.  He's not as bold and brassy as his mentor (maybe his father) yet.  I wouldn't have seen him, but noticed some greenery shaking and realized it was being devoured.

"My" turkeys are evidently Italian.  Harold had given me a large, overripe zucchini that had been next on the menu for the chickens.  I cut it up and threw it down with the birdseed yesterday, not knowing if the turkeys would eat it.  They ate it.  There wasn't a smidgen left by the time I walked back to the house.  Perhaps I won't have to overfeed the garbage disposal after all.

There are more and more vultures every day.  Yesterday there were at least fifteen sitting on the posts and wires around the pen and a couple getting a drink from the goat trough.  The big annual migration will occur in maybe a month and perhaps these guys are putting in their reservations early.  These huge birds are absolutely awesome.

Yesterday was better.  It's too depressing to stay depressed, but I wasn't up for accepting a lunch invitation from Arden yet.  I'm not good company when I'm feeling low.

Summer isn't over yet, as the rising temperatures remind us, but the world is turning on its axis in that direction.  Daylight comes by 6 a.m. and the girls are ready for bed by 7:30 at night.  Life goes on.

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Sounds like a slow down.
I'm ready for bed at seven thirty too....

Kathryn Williams said...

Ah yes, the world goes on...thinking good thoughts for you, my friend.