Friday, August 25, 2017

Not Enough

It's not enough that this place is pockmarked and booby-trapped by squirrel burrows, there are more than a few ant holes (not hills).  This one is in the driveway and is at least four inches across.  I know nothing about the lives of ants, but I find it interesting that this particular hole shows up in the same spot every year.  Does the colony hibernate when the rains of winter fill in the hole with loose dirt and then re-emerge in spring?  How long does an ant live, anyhow?  Fortunately for these guys, they are not red ants whose bite burns like fire; those get boiling water poured into their hole.

I'm still plagued by tiny black ants in the kitchen, although not as many as before.  At least they've stopped going after the cat and dog food and they no longer travel in a long black train, but I've had enough of them.

There was enough gas in the tank to get to town (yes, again) and back yesterday, but that would have left less than a quarter full.  Never knowing when an emergency arise, it's so important to keep enough gas in the truck, so my first stop was in Mt. Aukum; in the opposite direction from P'ville, of course.  Of little interest, I did hose off the truck before leaving.

Ralph must feel he can't do enough to please Celeste, especially in the litter box.  She doesn't like the way he covers his scat and will do it "right," to the point where he may still be doing his business and she'll reach under and start the job.  Some days he just can't win.

That tray of tomatoes still sits on the counter.  The last couple of days there just hasn't been enough time to start and finish the salsa.  Camille and I evidently have different visions of salsa, in that she asked me if I had enough canning jars.  I make more of a pico de gallo, which can be bagged and frozen.  I haven't canned in years; it's too much work.  Regardless, today's the day.

No comments: