Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Cold Soup

Holy Toledo, it was hot again.  I turned on the sprinkler in the herb garden in the morning, hoping to keep the struggling plants alive.  Little birds splashed in the birdbath and turkeys paraded slowly through the spray, trying to look like they weren't enjoying themselves.  I invented reasons why I needed to go outside just to get a sprinkle, too.

Pete and Jake were coming up and I made the supreme sacrifice and dusted, then faced my dilemma.  What in the world was I going to feed the guys?  Something healthy and not take a long time in the kitchen.  Something I could make with what I had on hand.  Hmmm.  Aha!  White gazpacho!  I had one cucumber and fortunately Cam filled in with the others on the condition I'd save her a bowl.  The soup was fully chilled by the time the boys arrived.  I was afraid that Jake would give me the same look Pete had the first time I offered cold soup, but he was up for it and, really, anything cold was welcome yesterday.

After lunch, Pete asked me to walk Jake though my spice cupboards.  My sister-in-law had done me the same favor when I was a new, young bride and couldn't boil water.  She explained flavors and what went with what for spices and herbs I'd never heard of.  Jake is just learning how to cook and was a willing student.  His eyes opened slightly when I showed him the first door, racks packed with bottles and jars.  Ha!  Those were just for cooking.  Then we went over to the door with baking spices, cinnamon, cardamom, and the like.  Some are interchangeable, of course.

We went into the living room to talk and the fellows stayed hydrated with water chilled with whole, frozen strawberries instead of ice cubes.  The afternoon passed too quickly, and I know Pete feels the same about the few days he has with Jake before his son goes overseas.  I'm so happy he was willing to share an afternoon with me.

Cam came up after the guys left to claim her fee for the loan of the cucumbers.  I'd made this batch with Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream I'd used in the past.  We couldn't tell much difference.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh I LOVE this blog...and Jake will never forget the cupboard lesson!!!