Sunday, August 27, 2017

Water, Water

"Water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink."  (The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner,  Samuel Taylor Coleridge.)

We're in another extended heat wave and I spend a lot of time watering:  the animals, the herb garden, and the deck and houseplants.  The plants are doing a lot of calisthenics as they droop and stand.  Timing is important as watering in the middle of the day outside would (1) boil the plants and (2) standing out in the sun would fry me.  The house is stifling and only the spray bottle by my chair keeps me going.  As often as possible, I take Bessie out and soak her to the skin.  Other areas in the country are flooding.  There is such a thing as too much water, but here I worry about running the well dry.  Water gives life, but it also takes it; the wild-thing pot claimed two more rats yesterday.

Animals will tell you their name.  I was wrong when I called one of the baby squirrels Ronnie yesterday.  His name, he said, is Raymond.  I stand corrected.  This place is almost deserted during peak heat.  All the squirrels go deep in their bunkers, only coming out after the sun begins to drop.

My grandson Jake has finished his basic and specialty training in the Air Force and will be deployed to Saudi Arabia.  He's coming in today to spend a few days with Pete before leaving, and the family is gathering this afternoon to say hi and goodbye, a bittersweet reunion.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Bittersweet indeed. Godspeed to Jake for sure...and hoping your heat breaks!