Thursday, April 26, 2018

A First

Darius Rucker, one of my favorite C/W singers, has a song out "When Was The Last Time (you did something for the first time)" that I really enjoy.  Those occasions get farther and farther apart these days, but the song came to mind last evening when I turned on the living room ceiling fan for the first time since last summer.  Am I crazy (don't answer that!) or was it only a week ago that I had Stove fired up?  When Camille and I were sitting on the porch that lovely afternoon, we both wished out loud that the weather could stay just as it was that day.  Well, it didn't last long.  Of course, this heat spell isn't supposed to last long, either, because a big drop in temperature and possible rain are forecast for this weekend.  It was a portent of what is to come, though, and I'm not happy.  Sigh.

I wish I had a magic wand to wave over the goats to make them get along better.  Sheila and Tessie are so darned mean to Inga, and Inga has the sweetest disposition of the group.  It's happened before to the oldest of the herd; Esther caught the worst of it when she was the deposed queen, and Ruth took her licks, too.  Bedtime is chaotic.  Inga is desperate to get to her room, but unless she has a clear shot, she has to run the gauntlet and the other two give her a good bash as she goes by.  I try to change up the order and get Sheila in first to even the odds for Inga, but it doesn't always work.

I don't see much of Missy these days.  I know she's around because I put down food morning and night for her and all or mostly all is gone.  She shows up now and then to say hi and get a good petting.  I assume (hope) she's out hunting.  She's done a good job of keeping the barn clear of rodents.

Daybreak and sundown are about an hour earlier/later now and, yes, the seasons are changing and we're just along for the ride.  Wahoo.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

The goats sound like a 4 1/2 and 3 year old I know very well...with bashes when not deserved, etc! Can't wait until this phase is over.