Saturday, April 7, 2018

Rain, Rain...

This touch of spring was a welcome sight on another dreary rainy day yesterday.  It never really rained hard, but it was constant and more than enough to wash Truck.  The girls immediately fell into rainy day routine; however, I think Tessie is pulling rank and keeps the big room all to herself (she is the one with the weapon and it is "her" room at night, after all).  That leaves just the play yard and Louie's shed for the other two, but at least they don't have to stand out in the yard getting wet when Tess pulls her Greta Garbo "I vant to be alone" act.

That big meaty ham bone from Easter has been calling me and yesterday was a perfect day for dried lima beans and ham, true comfort food in my book.  Buttery cornbread fresh from the oven finished the menu.


Ralph has taken to slipping into the cat cave under the blanket again the last few nights.  That soft, warm body cuddled up next to me is so reminiscent of long ago when one of the Kids would climb into bed with me.

It began to rain in earnest during the night and it's pounding on the roof and windows this morning.  It's a tossup whether to sing, "It's raining, it's pouring.  The old man is snoring," or "Rain, rain, go away."  As much as we need them, wet days also dampen the spirits.  Guess I'll go sniff the hyacinths.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Could also be "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head!" Do you know that I was in my 50s before I knew that lima beans came "dry?" My mom only served frozen (then cooked) baby limas and I did NOT like them, but was always forced to eat about 7. She did it for my dad, who loved all beans. Needless to say, I never went looking for limas. It wasn't until I moved to Ohio that I saw them being used in a soup like I think you made, and they were much more palatable to me (My mom only used black-eyed peas with her ham hock.) Then, because it was the midwest where it was common (I had never seen it in Southern California), they had creamed limas on a restaurant menu. Who knew that you could put them in a sweet cream sauce...I sure didn't. But then again, I don't look to put any sugar on any vegetables. (It's a losing battle to try to be like Missy!)