Thursday, April 5, 2018

Missed

Sometimes I miss simple, uncomplicated, gut-busting Fu Manchu.  I missed an opportunity to mow yesterday because John Dear would not cooperate.  Either I need a remedial course in how to get the yard tractor going or he needs a spring overhaul after a winter of disuse.  John has any number of buttons and levers that need to be pushed, pulled, raised or lowered to get him started.  I thought I had the sequence right, particularly remembering to push the brake pedal farther down than I'd previously thought necessary, but John didn't even cough.  There also wasn't a hopeful click, so it could be something as simple as a dead battery.  Sigh.  I trudged back to the house to consider options.  I'd waited until late afternoon to let the grasses (i.e., weeds) dry after a heavy morning dew, so it was a bit late to call Beau, the neighborhood single woman's savior.  Heavy rain is predicted for a couple of days beginning this afternoon, up to 2-1/2 inches in this area, so I think I'll just let John sit there and sulk, or gloat, as the case may be, and I'll have another go at him once we dry out again.

I'm used to seeing Missy morning and night now and I miss her on those occasions when she's out doing whatever it is she does during the day.  She seems happy to see me, too, purring loudly and twisting this way and that to get petted while I put down her food.  While she certainly has a good appetite, Missy remains petite.

Celeste is off her game lately.  I'm finding piglets all over the bathroom so I know she's been working on her slam-dunk and hook shots.  I do not, however, miss finding floaters.

Win some, lose some.  It was that kind of day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ah, Missy has a good appetite and remains petite. Ah....wouldn't that be nice!