Monday, April 2, 2018

Easter Parade

Prep work for the day didn't go quite as planned.  Vacuuming is always the last thing before company arrives and I was halfway through the living room when the fershluggen machine quit (again).  I was cutting it close to the wire and was still cussing when Mary, a longtime friend and coworker from years past, drove up.  Oh well, nothing for it but to put on a brave face and fake it.

Deb and Craig arrived next, bearing a just-ready-to-bloom hyacinth plant and this "box" of goodies Craig had created.  It's no secret that licorice is my favorite, and he glued boxes of the good stuff together and filled it with hollow eggs full of licorice jelly beans.  Seventh heaven!  I graciously did not hide it in a cupboard, but silently begrudged every patty-paw that tried to save me from myself.  Mary had brought a cute ceramic bunny that became the table centerpiece.

Dave rode up on his "new" Harley.  He's had it for a year, but this was the first time I'd seen it.  This big road cruiser has all the bells and whistles a guy could wish for and it's a beauty.  The weather was perfect for a ride in the hills.

It wasn't long before Pete and Cam arrived and the party was complete.  The guys went out to the deck to talk guy stuff while Deb painstakingly gilded each of the eggs with a tiny brush and the ladies chatted.  What a shame that I'd screwed up and the Easter eggs weren't quite hard boiled (there's a first time for everything).  All that work for naught, but they sure were pretty.  Camille brought a basket of fresh eggs to share, but there was no time to start over.

For me, the day went by way too fast, but I'd emphasized to everyone that they needed to get out of the hills before the deer became active at dusk.  Fawns are starting to arrive and they have no street smarts.  Too soon, "Love you's," were called out as my family drove off.

Not one person went into the living room all day so I was spared embarrassment.  Larry and Clay had sent Happy Easter texts to the gathering of family and friends.  All in all, I'd call it it a good day.

No comments: