Friday, May 6, 2011

The Mighty Oak

"Mighty oaks from little acorns grow," and this one has been growing for a long, long time.  More of this old beauty had to come down and it broke my heart.  Tree Guy and Number Two Son came yesterday and played in my very own episode of  "Axe Men."  Bessie and I sat up on the hill, staying well out of danger and out of the way, and watched and listened as the cuts were made and wedges pounded in, and then, "It's gonna go!  It's gonna go!"  With an almost human groan and nearly in slow motion, this second part of the tree crashed to the ground.


Tree Guy is standing and the trunk is resting on the stump.  The winery, previously hidden from my view, is in the background.  TG is six feet tall and the trunk is nearly hip high, to give some perspective to the size of just one section of the tree.  There is still a lot of work to be done, but Tree Guy and Son will be back today. 
I told Tree Guy I was going to post his picture, and he immediately struck a Tree Guy pose, like a safari hunter with his trophy.  Number Two Son opted to stay in the background.  He is going to buck the wood in exchange for firewood for next winter.  Since I will have at least three years' worth for my own use, there will be plenty to spare (and not put such a dent in my pocketbook).  The remaining half of the tree may stand another twenty years and, in the meantime, will provide shade for the goats in the new pen.  Still, I hated to see even part of this mighty oak fall.




1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Gosh, "Mighty" is an understatement, but I guess that is the best we can do to describe those big beautiful California Gold Rush Country Oaks. They give so much in life...and they give so much when their growing is finished! Love the "Tree Guy Pose"...I bet he's kinda tickled that he gets his 15 minutes of fame...more than once! Sorry to see the limb go, but glad there is no danger to 2 leggers or 4 leggers!! Enjoy your Mother's Day weekend!!