Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Perfect Day

There are good days, great days, and then there are the perfect days.  The perfect storm occurs when all the elements converge at the same time in the same place to create something unique.  That exquisite combination of people and timing (and food and drink) occurred for me yesterday.  Last year's party raised the bar, and this year's jumped it!  Deb and Craig, Terry and Arvin, Dave, Larry and Taylor (Susan couldn't make it), Clay, and Mary arrived throughout the morning and early afternoon.  Deb color coordinated decorations for a lively atmosphere (Martha Stewart could learn from her!).  She and Craig were the entertainment directors, starting with a game of mini table tennis...on the dining room table!  The tiny paddles would fit in the palm of the hand, and watching one of my six-foot-five sons maneuvering with that would have made the sphinx giggle.  All the men went out to play mechanic on the big tractor.  It was male bonding time.  The consensus was the battery as the crux of the problem.  This gave the women a chance for a little girl talk.  After a sumptuous repast (interpret that as a lot of really good food), the next game...instead of our usual poker table...was bingo!  This was not the staid, intense game at the VFW hall.  There was much hooting, jibing, cheating, and the house fairly rocked with laughter.  We took a break so Craig's mom, Terry, and I could open Mother's Day presents and special, sweet, and funny cards.  (And my birthday gifts.)  Then we all rushed back to play more bingo...competitive bunch that we are.  There were prizes and bragging rights.  "I won...and you didn't.  Poor you.  It's good to be me." 

In the combination of elements for this celebration, the most important component was family.  Unable to be with us in person, my SoCal son was certainly in my thoughts and missed, but a gathering of most of the most-loved people in my life created, for me, The Perfect Day.  I could wish no better for all mothers.  It's good to be me.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

My smile from this blog is broad (MY first Mother's Day gift for the day) and will be rejuvenated each time I think of your Most Perfect Day!! You did SOMETHING right to raise some crazy game-players...our get togethers are far too staid...I think I need to borrow some of your Kids - at least the spirit of them!! I hope you bask in the glow today and for a long time to come!

Cally Kid said...

It's very heart-warming to to know that you can still reap the rewards of your family and friends. Volumes of kudos are represented in your gatherings and are evidence of the truth in the saying that "You Get What You Give". Happy Mothers/Birthday.

Bo said...

Thank you, Katherine and Cally Kid. I think my Kids grew up to be the incredible people they are in spite of and not because of me. I KNOW that, as I told one of my sons last night, sometimes I think my heart will swell so big my chest won't hold it. I was privileged to know your mom, Cally Kid...and she would feel the same way about her children (grown up as you all might be). And Kathryn, I'm willing to loan out my poker-playing gamers as long as I get a cross-your-heart pinkie promise you'll return them (preferably richer!) soon.

Jennie Bolen said...

Aww, I'm glad you had such a great mothers day. :) And Happy Belated Birthday.