Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Way To Start the Day

My day began with a real eye opener.  Neither a Bloody Mary nor a startling revelation, but a jump start, just the same.  Before heading down to the goat barn, I thought I'd take care of one little chore first.  The air filter on the little tractor needed cleaning and since it was sitting out in front of the water hose, I could rinse it off and let it dry while I tended to the girls.  The hose reel is on the feed barn wall just over the spigot, and the hose has a pistol-grip sprayer attached.  I opened the faucet all the way and then yelped and danced as I got caught with a blast of cold water right in the midsection.  I'd left the sprayer facing out instead of down and it was cocked and fully loaded.  Sitting in dripping wet bibbies while milking goats is not my idea of fun, but I was definitely awake.

Later on, a trip to town took precedence over mowing.  Getting into the truck, I found I couldn't see out the windshield because of all the sticky green pollen from the oaks.  Nothing for it but to drive over to the dreaded hose reel and rinse the truck.  I most certainly had the sprayer in hand before turning on the faucet this time.  I keep an eye out for all wildlife, watching the skies and the fields, and never have I seen seen the flying elephants that left droppings on my vehicle.  No bird could possibly leave plops the size that I rinsed off yesterday.  Where did those elephants come from and when did they learn to fly?  (Dumbo comes to mind.)

Regardless of the wet beginning and the trip to town notwithstanding, it was a good day.


2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Glad your eye-opening surprise did not "dampen" your day!!

Chris said...

Hello Bo,

My name is Christopher Wienberg and I’m a student at the University of Southern California (USC). My advisor, Dr. Andrew Gordon, and I are currently researching weblogs and yours came to our attention.

We’re interested in talking to bloggers who update their blogs frequently and write about the occurrences of their everyday lives. Would you be interested in chatting with me about your blog? If you choose to participate, we’ll set up a time to hang out with you in your hometown.

As part of this study, we’re also filming a documentary to bring attention to the human, and relatable, side of our research, and we would like to film the conversation I have with you. Your inclusion in the documentary is completely voluntary, and we would never film or record you without your permission.

If you want more information, I can be emailed at cwienberg@ict.usc.edu or called at (310) 448-5361. You can also contact my advisor, Dr. Andrew Gordon, via email at gordon@ict.usc.edu. Our address is included at the bottom of this email. Lastly, you might want to get in touch with Sonia Pineda. Sonia will produce the documentary portion of this study and can answer a lot of your questions. She can be reached at sonia@psychicbunny.com or (310) 359-9636.

I hope I get to meet you soon!

Thanks,
Christopher

Institute for Creative Technologies
12015 Waterfront Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90094
(310) 574-5700